2 dead, 1 wounded in shooting in Easton apartment complex, district attorney says

2 dead, 1 wounded in shooting in Easton apartment complex, district attorney says

Northampton District Attorney Terry Houck said two people were dead and one injured after shooting at an apartment complex in Easton late Tuesday night.

The gunfire occurred at around 11:30 p.m. in the Canal Park 3 apartments on the 600 block of Canal Park on the south side of the city.

A man and a woman were dead in an apartment on the ground floor, said Houck on Wednesday just before 2 a.m.

A 63-year-old woman in an adjoining apartment suffered a leg wound, was treated at a local hospital and was released. While Houck would not classify her wound as an accident, he said she was not an intended victim. It is possible that a bullet came through a wall.

As for the two adults who died, Houck couldn’t immediately tell whether they were related or whether they both lived there. The man and the woman knew each other, confirmed City Police Lt. Matthew Gerould just after 4 a.m., but her circumstances are still being investigated.

At this point in the investigation, which involves Easton Police, Northampton Coroner Zachary Lysek, and prosecutors, there is no further risk to the public, Houck said.

“That only happened a few hours ago,” he said as investigators waited for a search warrant to go through the apartment where people died. “We’re still looking at this. But even here we don’t seem to be looking for anyone at this point, and there is no danger to the community. “

Lysek will determine the cause and nature of the deaths and inform families of the deceased, but from 2 a.m. he was waiting for better access to the scene. Lysek will eventually publicly announce the names of the deceased.

Two children were in the apartment at the time of the shooting, but they were not physically injured, Gerould said. They were handed over to the family at the police station, he added.

A gun was salvaged and tested, Gerould said.

Easton Police had two investigation vehicles in the large parking lot when detectives and patrolmen drove into and out of the building, the entrance to which was cut off by yellow tape at the scene. A few neighbors sat or stood outside and watched the events unfold, but the surrounding neighborhood was mostly quiet as night turned to morning.

The scene was cleared at 4:30 a.m., Gerould said minutes later.

This is a recent news post and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Thank you for relying on us to bring you the journalism you can trust. Please consider supporting lehighvalleylive.com with a subscription.

Tony Rhodin can be reached at [email protected]