Attorneys for Dreasjon Reed household dispute grand jury discovering

Attorneys for Dreasjon Reed family dispute grand jury finding

Lawyers said in a press conference Saturday that several witnesses disagree with a grand jury’s finding that Reed shot the police before they shot and killed him.

INDIANAPOLIS – Dreasjon Reed’s family lawyers held a virtual press conference Saturday to respond to Tuesday’s announcement that a grand jury had ruled that the IMPD officer who shot and killed Reed in May would not face criminal charges will be.

IMPD officer Dejoure Mercer shot Reed on May 6 after a vehicle chase. Reed streamed part of the police chase where he stopped the car on 62nd Street and Michigan Road in the northwest of the city.

During the press conference, Fatima Johnson denied the grand jury’s finding that Reed shot officers during the exchange of fire that killed him.

Johnson said she was “disappointed” and “disgusted” with the decision and said at least 10 eyewitnesses said Reed did not shoot the police.

According to IMPD boss Randal Taylor, the cartridge cases recovered at the crime scene came from two cannons. Two of the casings were from Reed’s pistol, and video analysis by the Indiana State Police revealed that Reed shot the police.

The State Police took over the investigation at the request of Special Prosecutor Rosemary Khoury. Her investigators provided surveillance video from nearby companies and Reed’s Facebook Live video to present evidence to the grand jury.

Lawyers say no witnesses saw Reed shoot the officer … they say the video doesn’t support this either.

– Lauren Kostiuk (@laurenkostiuk_) November 14, 2020

Johnson said Saturday the family will pursue their unlawful death lawsuit in the case.

Reed’s mother, Demetree Wynn, filed a federal lawsuit in June.

On Tuesday, October 27th, Judge Jane Magnus-Stinson dismissed IMPD from the lawsuit, arguing that the city authorities were protected from certain laws.

Mercer and other officials, including Chief Taylor, are part of the civil suit.

After the press conference on Saturday, protesters gathered for a peaceful protest against the grand jury’s decision.

Now we’re marching on the street @WTHRcom

– Lauren Kostiuk (@laurenkostiuk_) November 14, 2020