COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (KKTV) – Attorneys representing a Colorado woman accused of killing her own stepson are demanding more time before a trial and are facing problems with a COVID-19 outbreak in El Paso Prison County at.
Letecia Stauch was arrested in South Carolina in March of this year on suspicion of murdering her 11-year-old stepson, Gannon Stauch.
Stauch will go to court next week as she is waiting for a second assessment of mental competence. In September, state doctors ruled that she was eligible to stand trial.
The motion, filed on October 30, tells the judge in the case to postpone the hearing to a date after December 14, claiming that this will allow Stauch to get a second competence hearing. The motion adds that there were issues with a personal doctor visit at Stauch due to the recent COVID-19 outbreak in prison. The judge has yet to make a decision on the application.
Gannon was reported missing on January 27 in the Lorson Ranch neighborhood, southeast of Colorado Springs. Gannon’s remains were found in Florida in early March.
Timeline to the fall
Monday January 27th
– 6:55 p.m. Dispatch from El Paso County Sheriff’s Office receives a call from a runaway child at 6600 Block Mandan Drive in the Lorson Ranch neighborhood.
– 7:32 p.m., Gannon Stauch joined state and national databases as an active outlier
– Last seen on the 27th between 3pm and 4pm
– Nothing was found in the first search
Tuesday, January 28th
– 12:29 p.m., case handed over to EPSO investigator
– Detectives conduct interviews, collect surveillance and follow up additional leads
– According to the affidavit, this was the day Stauch hid Gannon’s body in an area north of Palmer Lake in Douglas County. She would reportedly be returning to this place in the next few days to make sure his remains were hidden.
Wednesday January 29th
– The investigation continues
Thursday January 30th
– Upgraded the case from an outlier to a vulnerable missing child
– EPSO requests resources from the NCMEC and the FBI Crimes Abduction Rapid Deployment Team
Friday January 31st
– Letecia Stauch speaks exclusively to 11 news reporter Spencer Wilson. She leaves for South Carolina shortly after this interview.
Monday February 3rd
– The neighbor shows a home surveillance video showing a driver and passenger getting into a truck on the day Gannon went missing and returning just one person hours later.
Wednesday February 5th
– The 4th District Attorney Dan May is seen for the first time at Stauch’s house.
Thursday February 13th
– The search for Gannon moves to Douglas County.
Friday February 21
– Douglas County search suspended. The sheriff’s office says the potential for search efforts remains at all times.
Monday March 2nd
– Letecia Stauch arrested in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
Wednesday March 4th
– Stauch allegedly assaulted a MP and held him in a Kansas prison, according to a source.
Thursday March 5th
– Stauch arrives in Colorado Springs for a video hearing.
Friday March 20th
– Authorities announced they believed they found Gannon’s remains in Florida and are bringing new charges against Stauch.
Thursday April 2nd:
– Stauch’s arrest papers leak online.
Wednesday March 11th
– Stauch makes his first appearance in El Paso County Court. The trial was attended by Gannon’s parents and consisted of standing room only.
Copyright 2020 KKTV. All rights reserved.