District lawyer affords sources for victims of home violence

District attorney offers resources for victims of domestic violence

After the death of a woman from Edinburgh, the Hidalgo District Attorney reminds the public of the resources available to victims of domestic violence.

On the morning of October 30, police officers found a dead woman in Edinburgh.

Less than 24 hours before officers found her dead, the woman had contacted Edinburgh police about her ex-boyfriend.

According to a press release from the police department, officers escorted the woman home “and an additional patrol was carried out near her home”. The officers advised her to come back the next morning to apply for an emergency protection order.

She never had the chance.

According to a summary of the preliminary investigation published by the police authority, the ex-boyfriend of the woman apparently traveled from Laredo to Edinburgh. After the ex-boyfriend entered her apartment, he murdered her before killing himself.

“It is always sad for us when we lose someone in our community. I think that these people who cause these monstrous crimes – I think they are cowards, they don’t care about someone’s life,” said Ricardo Rodriguez , District Attorney of Hidalgo.

Rodriguez urged domestic violence victims to call the police.

Anyone who thinks the police are not dealing with the situation appropriately should call the Hidalgo County or Mujeras Unidas Public Prosecutor’s Office.

See the video for the full story.

Press release: Resources for Domestic Violence Victims

  1. If you are in danger please call 9-1-1
  2. Emergency shelters for domestic violence are open nationwide, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you require safe accommodation, please call the national domestic violence hotline at 1-800-799-7233.
  3. You can apply for a protection order at the local public prosecutor’s office free of charge.
  4. If an arrest is made, you can apply for an emergency response order from the police department that made the arrest.
  5. If the perpetrator is arrested and still in custody, you can register for VINE. VINE is the nation’s leading victim reporting network. It enables survivors, crime victims, and other affected citizens to timely and reliably access information about criminals or criminal cases in US prisons and prisons. How to register for VINE:


  6. If you have a protection order, you can apply for the Address Confidentiality Program to protect your new address. Apply at: https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/crime-victims/services-crime-victims/address-confidentiality-program.
  7. If you bring charges, you can apply for the Crime Victims Compensation Program and request assistance with relocation. Apply for CVC at
  8. If you live in the Housing Section 8 program, you can apply to have your Housing Voucher transferred to another jurisdiction for your security. For more information on housing rights for victims, please visit: https://texaslawhelp.org/article/housing-rights-victims-family-violence.
  9. You can request that your social security number be changed to protect your identity. To apply for a new number, you must apply in person to a social security office and provide evidence documenting the harassment, abuse, or mortal danger. Further information can be found at: www.socialsecurity.gov.
  10. You can safely apply for child benefit at the Texas Attorney General’s office. More information is available at: http://www.getchildsupportsafely.org/.
  11. You can apply for TANF or food stamps and request a Good Cause Exemption form H1713. For an important reason, the obligation to work with the OAG or to set up maintenance regulations for children is waived, as this would represent a clear safety risk for you or your children. You can find more information about this visit at: https://hhs.texas.gov/laws-regulations/forms/1000-1999/form-h1713-service-plan-family-violence-option-report-good-cause.
  12. If you live in Hidalgo County you can call the Mujeres Unidas 24-hour helpline at 1-800-580-4879 or the Hidalgo County’s Victims Division at (956) 292-7616

Information courtesy of the Hidalgo District Attorney’s Office.