After graduating in 1959, he became a trainee lawyer with Goldstein and Freed and was then an associate. In 1963 he became an associate and later a partner of Leonard J. Brizdle with offices in the Liberty Bank Building.
In 1966, shortly after setting up his first independent practice, he was named chairman of the bankruptcy committee of the Erie County Bar Association.
Admitted to the US Supreme Court in 1970, he became a partner with Joseph A. Chirlin and served as a confidential clerk with the Joseph A. Nevins Supreme Court from 1970-71.
In 1973 he became a partner in Saperston, Wiltse, Day and Wilson law firms and headed the commercial and bankruptcy departments.
In 1978 he re-established his own office. When it merged with Phillips, Lytle, Hitchcock, Blaine and Huber in 1982, it became a general partner specializing in bankruptcy, corporate finance and reorganization. In 1988 he reopened his own law firm.
In the early 1980s, he chaired the Erie County's Computer Record Confidentiality Task Force. He was also a member of the State Bar Association's Professional Discipline Committee.
As the past president of the Erie County Republican Lawyers Club, he was campaign manager for Judge Nevins when he angrily won a bench seat in 1970.