Felony lawyer Gerard Lazarus dies

Criminal lawyer Gerard Lazarus dies

PETALING JAYA: One of Klang’s most famous lawyers, Gerard Lazarus, died peacefully on Friday (November 27th) around 2:30 p.m. surrounded by family members.

Lazarus, who was very popular for his warmth and friendliness, died in the Prince Court Hospital in Ampang.

According to friends, Lazarus died due to complications resulting from cancer treatment.

Lazarus, diagnosed with colon cancer a few years ago, grabbed the bull by the horns and underwent the numerous treatments it had to go through.

He had also taken on cancer-related advocacy and was a pillar of strength for many other cancer patients.

The father of two grown daughters was also a well-known philanthropist in sound and a member of the Rotary club.

His good friend and fellow attorney Vikram Singh said they had “lost a lawyer like no other”.

“He was a fighter. He was a household name in sound and helped many youngsters get a second chance in life.

“He did this without fear or favor until his last breath. Thousands of people owe Gerard their freedom,” he said.

“He was one of the most exciting trial lawyers in court. He was noble and humble but sacrosanct,” he said, adding that Lazarus was fearless in court and respected by judges and his colleagues.

He said Lazarus was the poor man’s lawyer, and if other lawyers turned her away, their last bastion of hope would be Lazarus.

The honors for Lazarus on his Facebook page were overwhelming. Many said they respect him and how much they miss him.

Facebook user Gerard Pinto said he would like to be called “Small Gerard” when they were with other friends and said this made Lazarus his “big brother”.

Another Facebook user, Tan Chun Tat, who chambered under Lazarus, said he would remember the praise and reprimands he received in the toughest possible way.

“I miss the moment when you say ‘Good job, son! ‘You say. I miss the moment you berated me in front of the judge. I miss everything about you, sir, ”he said.

Thiran Ran, his friend for 20 years, said Lazarus inspired his daughter to study law and is now in her final year of college.

He also noted his kindness and said, “Whenever I go to his office and return … I will be full of smiles because of his funny stories.”

Lazarus was a good friend of journalists and did everything possible to help them with legal proceedings.

Lazarus will be awakened in sound on Saturday and Sunday (November 28th and 29th) between 10 am and 5 pm in the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes.

The funeral will take place on Monday (November 30th) at 11 a.m. at the same location.