Hathras Girl’s Household Needs Case Transferred To Delhi Or Mumbai, Says Lawyer Seema Kushwaha


Hathras Case: The Hathras woman's family brought three claims to the Allahabad High Court.


  • The High Court heard the case on Monday
  • At the hearing, the UP police and administration faced difficult questions
  • The case will be heard again on November 2nd


The family of a young woman who died last month following her torture and alleged rape in a village in Uttar Pradesh's Hathras have petitioned for the case to be removed from the state. According to the family's attorney, this was among the three claims made in the Allahabad High Court, which heard the case on Monday.

"The family wants the case to be moved to Delhi or Mumbai," lawyer Seema Kushwaha told reporters, according to the Press Trust of India.

She also said the family had asked the court to stop publishing reports of the investigation.

The case will be heard again on November 2nd. The family later told reporters that they would not submerge the woman's ashes until they received justice.

At the hearing, the Uttar Pradesh police and administration faced difficult questions about how they were handling the case and the nightly cremation of the 20-year-olds who suffered terrible injuries from the attack by four men on the top Caste died in the village on September 14th. The investigation was taken over by the CBI, which visited the village on Sunday and returned after collecting some documents.

The family, among the few Dalits in their village, were protected in the village after complaining of intimidation by the upper caste Thakurs. Yesterday they asked for more security in court because they felt unsafe.

The district administration justified cremating the woman in the absence of her family; Her parents and brothers were locked in her home when she was cremated at 2:30 am. The police refused to hand over the body, even though her parents asked to take her home one last time and to have her funeral the next morning.

Hathras County Magistrate Praveen Kumar Laxar said there was "no pressure from the state government" to carry out the cremation this way, implying that the local authorities made the controversial decision. He said the police had reasons to take the move on grounds of law and order, an argument that the family challenged.

The court asked whether the case would have been treated differently if the woman came from a rich family instead of from a poor family.

"The court asked the district judge," What if it was a girl from a wealthy family? Would you have cremated her the same way? " Seema Kushwaha told NDTV.

The Supreme Court summoned senior UP administrative and police officers, as well as the victim's family, and opened the case on October 1 amid national outrage over the woman's attack, her death and the way she was cremated.

The woman's parents and three brothers traveled to Lucknow for the trial in severe security.

(With entries from PTI)