Lawyer for Andre’ Hill’s household calls Columbus police officer’s firing “good first step”

Attorney for Andre' Hill’s family calls Columbus police officer’s firing “good first step”

Adam Coy was also warned by his superiors that he had initially not activated his body-worn camera and that Hill had not given any assistance after he was shot.

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Columbus Police Officer Adam Coy was fired from his job with the Columbus Division of Police Monday afternoon – less than a week after he fatally shot and killed an unarmed black man in a Columbus neighborhood.

But it wasn’t just the lethal use of force, viewed as inappropriate by City Public Security Director and Police Chief Thomas Quinlan, that led to Coy’s dismissal.

According to his termination documents, Coy was also warned by his superiors not to have activated his body-worn camera and not to provide any help to Andre ‘Hill after he was shot.

The police were called to the Oberlin Drive area on December 22nd to make an emergency call.

The notice of termination alleges that Coy’s “Acting was a gross violation of your oath as a Columbus police officer …”

While Coy was initially unable to activate his body-worn camera, a feature to trace or look up the body cameras captures the fatal shots depicting an unarmed Andre ‘Hill approaching officers from a garage while holding a cellphone in one hand.

The post-record or review function records 60 seconds of video before the officer presses a record button, but does not record any audio.

Police Chief Thomas Quinlan announced last week that he was skipping a hearing with Coy in his office and recommending his resignation immediately to the Department of Public Security.

In a statement released Monday evening, Quinlan said:

“When I became boss, I changed our core values ​​to include accountability. This is what responsibility looks like. The evidence provided solid grounds for the termination. Mr. Coy must now answer to state investigators for Andre Hill’s death. “

10 investigators interviewed attorney Ben Crump Monday night, representing Andre Hill’s family.

He called Coy’s dismissal: “A good first step. If it were your loved one, you would want them to be fully accountable. “

In a year of protest and talk about social injustice, Crump was implicated in the George Floyd and Breonna Taylor cases, and when asked what was striking about Hill’s death, he said, “What was so heartbreaking about this tragedy was the It were the Christmas holidays. We have, unfortunately, been reminded that the police use excessive force and implicit bias never pause – not even at Christmas. “

Crump said that Hill’s relatives are broken over this death, but that “this family never forgets that this will be a journey to justice and that this was only the first step in that journey to justice.”

Coy’s release has progressed faster than other disciplinary proceedings in recent years. Police Chief Thomas Quinlan admitted that he had skipped the step of a hearing outside his office and instead recommended Coy’s resignation.

“I’ve seen everything I need to see to conclude that Officer Coy must be fired immediately,” Quinlan said on Christmas Eve.

When asked about this process in dismissal, Crump said:

“I think it shows they know this was a bad shoot from the start,” he said. “There is no justification for this extrajudicial assassination of Andre ‘Hill, who had a cell phone in his hand and was unarmed. It wasn’t an emergency call. Why did they come out with guns and why didn’t they provide medical aid that could possibly have saved this young man’s life? “

Coy did not show up at the disciplinary hearing on Monday.

According to a copy of the minutes of the hearing, the FOP attorneys made it clear that they had requested the hearing to continue on Monday because Coy’s lawyer was on vacation.

It wasn’t immediately clear whether Coy would appeal his dismissal. An email message for an employment lawyer was not answered on Monday evening.

Mark Collins, who said he was detained by Coy late last week, will represent him in any pending criminal investigation. Collins said the grand jury’s investigation into shootings of officials can typically take anywhere from three to six months.

Mayor Andrew J. Ginther also issued a statement on Adam Coy’s resignation:

“The resignation of Adam Coy from the Columbus Division of Police does not bring Andre Hill back to those who love him. I applaud Security Director Ned Pettus and Police Chief Tom Quinlan for their swift action in dismissing Mr Coy for not using appropriate force according to division guidelines, not activating his body-worn camera, and not activating his body-worn camera, and not a dying Mr Hill Has provided help. These do not represent the values ​​of the Columbus Division of Police.

Now we are waiting for the BCI investigation, a presentation of the evidence to a grand jury, and possible indictments from the US Department of Justice. We expect transparency, accountability and equity. The family and the entire community deserve it. “