Lionel Desmond inquiry to renew at new Nova Scotia venue in February: lawyer

0
60
Lionel Desmond inquiry to resume at new Nova Scotia venue in February: lawyer

HALIFAX – An attorney involved in an investigation into why a former soldier killed his family and himself in 2017 says hearings are expected to resume on February 16 in a new location in Nova Scotia .

The provincial fatal investigation began in January with hearing testimonies but was suspended in early March just before the COVID-19 pandemic forced a lengthy delay.

Adam Rodgers, who represents one of Desmond’s sisters, said he received word from the investigating officer today that the trial is being moved from a municipal building in Guysborough, NS, to a larger courthouse in Port Hawkesbury, 60 kilometers to the northeast.

Last month, Rodgers and another lawyer said the investigation should resume in September, but that date has been postponed to November 16 and then postponed again until early next year – more than four years after the killings shocked the province .

The investigation was first announced in December 2017 after Desmond’s twin sisters raised questions about the former infantryman’s inability to receive adequate treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder after he was discharged from the military in 2015.

On January 3, 2017, the veteran of the war in Afghanistan fatally shot and killed his 31-year-old wife Shanna, their 10-year-old daughter Aaliyah, and his mother Brenda Desmond, 52, with a semi-automatic rifle. Desmond then turned the gun on himself at the family home in Upper Big Tracadie, NS

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on November 9, 2020

The Canadian press