MasterChef assault accused’s cook lawyer | Bega District News

0
31
MasterChef assault accused's cook lawyer | Bega District News

News, national

MasterChef’s runner-up on charges of sexual assault, Ben Ungermann, is represented in court by another ex-cookery show candidate. Ungermann is charged with three offenses related to an alleged sexual assault on a 16-year-old girl in Melbourne in February 2020. He was represented by Western Australia-based attorney and MasterChef candidate Benjamin Bullock in 2017 during an online hearing in Melbourne Magistrates Court Wednesday. Ungermann, who is from Queensland and is on bail, did not attend the virtual hearing. It became known that the alleged victim had made an earlier statement about Ungermann to police that preceded the current charges. The court was informed that this statement was not and was not the subject of additional charges. However, the prosecution can still try to rely on what is known to be evidence of tendency in the case against Ungermann. Tendency evidence is used to prove that a person has, or has had, a tendency to act in a certain way or to have a certain state of mind. Attorneys for both law enforcement and defense said they needed more time to prepare for planned preliminary arguments. Magistrate Mia Stylianou made it clear that she was unimpressed, as the entire Wednesday and Thursday had been released for solving the problems. Four child witnesses are expected to testify during a challenged hearing that begins May 17. Ms. Stylianou will then determine whether there is enough evidence to find Ungermann guilty. Ungermann was second at MasterChef in 2017. He appeared in early episodes of Network 10’s cooking show that season last year before disappearing from television screens. His case is due to return to court on May 5th. Australian Associated Press

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/silverstone-feed-data/c08693fd-af07-4591-b6df-3e9e63939505.jpg/r0_74_800_526_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

MasterChef’s runner-up, Ben Ungermann, accused of sexual assault, is represented in court by another ex-cookery show candidate.

Ungermann is charged with three offenses related to an alleged sexual assault on a 16-year-old girl in Melbourne in February 2020.

During an online hearing in Melbourne’s Magistrates Court on Wednesday, he was represented by Western Australia-based attorney and 2017 MasterChef candidate Benjamin Bullock.

Ungermann, who is from Queensland and is on bail, did not attend the virtual hearing.

It became known that the alleged victim had made an earlier statement about Ungermann to police that preceded the current charges.

The court was informed that this statement was not and was not subject to additional charges.

However, prosecutors could still try to rely on what is known to be evidence of tendency in the Ungermann case.

Tendency evidence is used to prove that a person has, or has had, a tendency to act in a certain way or to have a certain state of mind.

Attorneys for both law enforcement and defense said they needed more time to prepare for planned preliminary arguments.

Magistrate Mia Stylianou made it clear that she was unimpressed, as the entire Wednesday and Thursday had been cleared for solving the problems.

Four child witnesses are expected to testify during a challenged hearing that begins May 17.

Ms. Stylianou will then determine whether there is enough evidence to find Ungermann guilty.

Ungermann finished second at MasterChef in 2017.

He appeared in early episodes of Network 10’s cooking show last year before disappearing from television screens.

His case is due to return to court on May 5th.

Australian Associated Press