New Brunswick mom says son’s human rights have been violated, hires lawyer – New Brunswick

0
57
New Brunswick mom says son’s human rights have been violated, hires lawyer - New Brunswick

A New Brunswick mother, whose son with disabilities has disappeared from his school, plans to file a formal complaint against the school and the county.

Jacqueline Petricca from Bouctouche, NB says she is still shocked by what happened to her son at Blanche Bourgeois School last month.

“It was the most terrible almost two hours of my life,” said Petricca.

Petricca says her 11-year-old son Anthony, who has ADHD, Tourette’s syndrome, and obsessive-compulsive disorder and may be on the autism spectrum, is a known flight risk but disappeared from school on March 24th.

Continue reading:

The New Brunswick mother seeks answers and support after the disabled son has been missing from school for hours

“I had no idea where he was. I didn’t know if he got in a car with anyone or what happened, ”she said.

The story continues under the advertisement

Anthony was taken to safety at a nearby store almost two hours after he disappeared, she says.

Now the mother has hired an attorney and plans to file a formal complaint against the school and county for not providing adequate full-time support to her son.

“If there was a real inclusion program, my son wouldn’t be just two to three hours in half a day,” she said.

According to the mother, a psychologist has told her that since Anthony is not classified as a complex case, all recommended and necessary support will not be paid until he has received this classification. She says she waited months to meet with the district to have her son examined.

Trend stories

  • The fate of a Canadian man on death row in Montana remains uncertain in light of the bill

  • Vaccinated snowbirds say they will be “punished” with Canada’s COVID-19 hotel quarantine

A representative for the Francophone Sud School District, Ghislaine Arsenault, did not comment on the incident, citing privacy protection, but said in a statement to Global News: “The staff work very hard to keep students safe and educated Providing an environment that enables this promotes their general development and wellbeing. “

Continue reading:

The NB family is looking for support in the community for their son’s rehab equipment

Petricca says her son’s support as a full-time educational assistant (EA) was withdrawn in February 2019, which she believes was due to budgetary concerns.

The story continues under the advertisement

Fredericton attorney and former education secretary Jody Carr says the school “didn’t protect” Anthony when he ran away from school. He also claims Anthony was denied his accommodation and failed to address his disabilities in a timely manner, which Carr said is a violation of the student’s rights.

“He’s denied service and denied an education only because of a disability, and human rights law states that no one can be denied an education because of their disability,” said Carr.

Anthony says he wants to go back to school all day.

“I would be ready even without the EA,” he said.

But his mother says he needs adequate support before that can happen. Otherwise, she fears that he will be missing again.

Ever since Global News covered her story, Petricca says the district has contacted and she will meet with a clinical team on Friday to access Anthony’s needs. She says she will also have a Zoom meeting with Education Secretary Dominic Cardy on Thursday.

“The ultimate goal is to have him on a program where he’s safe and educated all day,” she said.


Click here to play the video:


2:06
A program to help young people with disabilities in Moncton find work


Moncton Employment Assistance Program for Young People with Disabilities – March 18, 2021

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.