‘Outrageous’ year-long await Andrew to talk to US authorities, says lawyer

0
14
The Duke of York

The Duke of York

A lawyer representing alleged victims of Jeffrey Epstein has described it as “outrageous” that a year has passed since the Duke of York publicly promised to cooperate with the US authorities.

Andrew – the Queen’s second son – resigned from public life on November 20, 2019 after his disastrous Newsnight interview about his friendship with convicted sex offender Epstein made an impact.

The Duke has been criticized for showing a lack of empathy with the pedophile’s victims and showing no remorse for his friendship with the nefarious financier who committed suicide in prison last year.

On the first anniversary of the Duke’s resignation from royal duties, Lisa Bloom, who represents six of Epstein’s alleged victims, urged Andrew to undergo an FBI interview as they investigate the Duke’s girlfriend, the celebrity Ghislaine Maxwell, who is accused of procuring teenage girls for molesting Epstein.

Lisa Bloom, Attorney at LawLawyer Lisa Bloom, who represents six of Epstein’s victims (David Mirzoeff / PA)

Mrs. Bloom said it was never too late to do the right thing.

In the BBC’s Newsnight interview with Emily Maitlis, the Duke denied claims that he slept three times with Virginia Giuffre, who says she was traded by Epstein, including when she was 17 and still under US law was a minor.

The Duke said in a statement released last year on his parents’ wedding anniversary that the Queen had given her permission to resign from royal duties “for the foreseeable future”.

He said, “The circumstances surrounding my previous association with Jeffrey Epstein have seriously affected my family’s work.”

Andrew added that he continued to regret “unequivocally my poorly judged association” with Epstein and pledged to help “any appropriate law enforcement agency.”

The Newsnight interviewThe Duke of York during his interview with BBC Newsnight’s Emily Maitlis (Mark Harrison / BBC)

Ms. Bloom told the PA news agency, “How outrageous it has been a year since Prince Andrew publicly promised to work with law enforcement to investigate all of those who enabled Jeffrey Epstein to sexually assault hundreds of women and girls.

“He just didn’t keep that promise. Meanwhile, the six victims I represent are struggling to fix their lives.

“We ask Prince Andrew to interview the FBI investigation of Ghislaine Maxwell and other accused co-conspirators, share what he knows, hand over documents and evidence, and instruct his staff to do the same.

“It’s never too late to do the right thing.”

A spokeswoman for the Duke’s lawyers declined to comment.

A year after retiring from his public role, it is widely expected that the Duke will never return to royal duties.

He has seen a war of words between his camp and the American authorities over his availability to answer questions about Epstein.

Andrew was accused by US attorney Geoffrey Berman, who led the investigation into Epstein, of trying to “falsely portray himself to the public as eager and cooperative.”

But the Duke’s legal team said he made three offers to provide testimony.

The call to speak to authorities was renewed after Maxwell appeared in court in the United States and was accused of facilitating Epstein’s sexual exploitation of underage girls.

Ghislaine Maxwell Ghislaine Maxwell faces trial next year (Chris Ison / PA)

Your trial is scheduled for July next year.

As the royal family got used to video calling engagements during the coronavirus outbreak, Andrew, who categorically denies any wrongdoing, stayed out of the public spotlight.

The Duke’s 60th birthday in February was a quiet affair and his planned military promotion to admiral was postponed at his request.

He rarely appeared in April when he was pictured on Instagram with his ex-wife, Sarah, Duchess of York, packing cupcakes into care packages for a hospice.

The Duke, who served as a Sea King helicopter pilot in the Falklands War, was absent from the cenotaph on Memorial Sunday this month.

Princess Beatrice and Mr. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi celebrated their wedding with their immediate family.

? The happy couple is pictured with Her Majesty the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh. Photo by Benjamin Wheeler. pic.twitter.com/Ztw1Kk0eRy

– The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) July 18, 2020

In July he celebrated the secret lockdown wedding of the eldest daughter Princess Beatrice with Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi.

But he was missing from the official photos published on the occasion. Beatrice and her new husband were only pictured with the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh.

Andrew is preparing to become a first grandfather early next year when his youngest daughter Princess Eugenie is expecting a baby.

In his Newsnight interview, the Duke said that the alleged 2001 meeting with Ms. Giuffre did not take place because he spent the day with Beatrice taking her to a party at Pizza Express in Woking.

Ms. Giuffre said the same alleged sexual connection began with the Duke, who was sweating profusely as they danced at the Tramp nightclub in London.

But the Duke said he had an illness at the time, which meant he wasn’t sweating and that he couldn’t remember ever meeting Mrs. Giuffre.