- Prime-time Fox News host Tucker Carlson beat a lawyer on President Donald Trump’s electoral team after she refused to send him evidence of her baseless allegations of election fraud.
- Carlson said he was keen to have attorney Sidney Powell on his show and would have given her “the whole hour” or “the whole week” to detail her claims.
- But Carlson said Powell “got angry and asked us not to contact them” when his team asked for evidence to support their claim that electronic voting systems cast millions of votes for Trump in votes for President-elect Joe Biden would have transformed.
- There is no evidence to support the president and his allies’ allegations of widespread electoral fraud.
- Biden won the election with 306 electoral college votes and nearly 6 million more individual votes than Trump.
- You can find more stories on the Business Insider homepage.
Prime-time Fox News host Tucker Carlson protested Thursday against an attorney on President Donald Trump’s electoral team for refusing to provide evidence of Trump’s unsubstantiated claims that he “won the presidential election by a” landslide ” .
Carlson said when his team reached out to attorney Sidney Powell, they refused to provide any evidence to support their baseless claims that electronic voting systems turned millions of votes for Trump into votes for President-elect Joe Biden. Carlson said he was keen to have Powell on his show and would have given her “the whole hour” or “the whole week” to detail her claims.
Instead, Powell refused to send Carlson a trace of evidence and told him to stop reaching out, he said.
“Despite many inquiries and polite inquiries, she did not send us any evidence – neither page,” said the Fox News host. “As we kept pressing, she got angry and told us to stop contacting her.”
Powell is a longtime proponent of the pro-Trump QAnon conspiracy theory, which falsely states that the president is fighting a cabal of Democrats who worship Satan and who are child trafficking.
Carlson said Powell’s allegations of a major conspiracy to commit electoral fraud were “the greatest crime in American history,” and he needed to see some evidence to support their claims.
“We just wanted to see the details,” he said. “How could you not want to see her?”
He said his show never shied away from conspiracy theories – “we literally do UFO segments,” he said – but the Trump team’s claims are too far a bridge even for him.
After Carlson’s Thursday night segment, Powell told the Washington Examiner that she “would continue to encourage him and all journalists to review all material made available so far and conduct their own investigations.”
– Alex Kaplan (@AlKapDC) June 12, 2019
The GOP promotes Trump’s false claims and efforts to undermine the legitimacy of the election. The Republican National Committee posted a video on its Twitter account in which Powell presented the unsubstantiated allegations of election fraud on Thursday.
There is no evidence to support the president and his allies’ claims of widespread electoral fraud.
Trump’s own government has rejected these claims. The Department of Homeland Security called this year’s elections “the safest in American history”. And the Election Infrastructure Sector Coordination Executive Committee said in a recent statement: “There is no evidence that any voting system has deleted or lost votes, changed votes or compromised in any way.”
Carlson previously said that there was “fraud” in the elections but that it was not enough to change the outcome of the presidential race.
“At this point in time, the fraud that we can confirm doesn’t seem enough to change the election result,” Carlson told his viewers on November 10th. “We should be honest and tell you that. Of course that could change.”
The prime-time presenter – one of the most watched on cable TV – has repeatedly railed other media outlets, falsely claiming that no news outlets are investigating allegations of election fraud.
“Fact-gathering is the last thing our media – our designated fact-collectors – seem to want. Instead, they are demanding that you shut up and accept Joe Biden,” he said. “And if you don’t accept it, they’ll hurt you.”