We all like receiving FedEx packages, but none of us wants to be hit by a FedEx truck in a roadway accident. Unfortunately, these accidents happen more often than you may think. FedEx, founded in 1973, has more than 73,000 vehicles on the road. In a 2-year period prior to October 2020, states reported that FedEx vehicles were involved in 2,237 crashes, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Of these, 63 were fatal and 745 resulted in injuries, FMCSA states.
FedEx is a respected company, but roadway accidents by trucking and delivery companies take place, nonetheless. It is part of the industry risk. If you or a loved one has been injured in a crash with a FedEx truck, you may be entitled to financial compensation. It’s a long road to recovery for accident victims, and you don’t have to walk it alone. The skilled and experienced personal injury attorneys at Guajardo & Marks have represented dozens of clients who were involved in trucking and delivery vehicle accidents. We will fight hard and tirelessly to get the justice you deserve. To find out more about how we can help, call us at 972-774-9800. The initial phone call is free.
What to do if a FedEx Truck Hits My Car
If you’re asking yourself what to do if a FedEx Truck hits your car, you’re not alone. It’s not every day that unsuspecting motorists collide with the white, purple and orange delivery trucks. But when it does happen, you want to know what your rights are.
A typical FedEx delivery truck has a gross vehicle weight range in excess of 26,000 pounds. FMCSA data shows that FedEx employs more than 110,000 drivers, and FedEx vehicles logged 2,790,040,000 miles on the road in 2019.
If you were injured in a FedEx truck accident, filing a personal injury lawsuit may be the appropriate next step. This is especially true if evidence shows that the driver was overworked and fatigued, the truck was not maintained properly, or repeated safety issues were ignored. Proving negligence can be a key factor in winning a personal injury claim, and a skilled attorney knows which questions to ask and how to decipher complicated witness statements and crash scene evidence.
You may be contacted immediately after a crash by a representative from FedEx or their insurance company, and they may even offer you a check to cover financial damages. It’s extremely important that you contact your attorney and direct all communications through him or her. The goal of any insurance company is to protect their client and get you to settle for as little as possible. That’s their job. You need someone fighting for you who can go toe-to-toe with aggressive insurance company lawyers and negotiators. It’s important that you not sign anything or cash any checks before speaking to your lawyer. In many cases, a personal injury attorney can negotiate a higher settlement amount than insurance companies initially offer.
I’ve been hit by a FedEx Truck. Now what?
Anytime you’ve been in a vehicle accident – including with a FedEx truck – there are things that you should be certain to do. These include:
- Seek medical attention right away. If your injuries are severe, allow yourself to be transported by ambulance to the emergency room for tests, X-rays and treatment. If your injuries are less severe, make sure you go quickly to your family doctor or an urgent care center to be checked out. Delay can be dangerous for your health and can cause vital medical information to be lost or mislaid.
- Call 911 and ask law enforcement to respond to the scene. They will have to file a police report that will contain valuable information and can be relied upon in court.
- Get the FedEx driver’s name, vehicle number and driver’s license information.
- If there are witnesses and bystanders, get their names and contact information. Your attorney will be able to interview them later about what they saw and heard.
- If you are able, use your cell phone camera to take pictures of the accident scene and your injuries. A picture truly is worth a thousand words when it comes to showing the severity of an accident.
- Answer first responders’ and police officers’ questions succinctly, but don’t say any more than is necessary. Do not try to explain your reaction, and most importantly do not acknowledge guilt or responsibility for the accident.
- Hire a skilled and experienced personal injury attorney right away.
Contact a Skilled and Experienced FedEx Truck Injury Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a crash with a FedEx delivery truck, your world has been turned upside down. Medical bills are mounting, you’re unable to work, and income is dwindling. You may be struggling with depression and feelings of hopelessness as you watch your plans for the future fade away. You don’t have to suffer alone, and your family’s future can be protected. You could be entitled to financial compensation as a result of the losses you’ve suffered through no fault of your own. A skilled and experienced personal injury lawyer can fight for your rights and make sure you and your family have the resources you need to survive your injuries and build a meaningful future.
The attorneys at Guajardo & Marks have helped countless families just like yours by negotiating a financial settlement after a truck crash. We can help you, too. We are aggressive and tireless in representing our clients, and we will not stop until we get justice for you. To find out more about how we can help, call us at 972-774-9800. The initial phone call is free.